Sunday, December 16, 2007

Anthony Lakes

I spent today at beautiful Anthony Lakes, where I found stashes of light, dry powder, as well as a wonderful terrain park for turning - the natural result of small trees buried to hear their tops. I started the day on the groomed runs, cruising the smooth corduroy until I felt comfortable with conditions - once I had established that the snow was in very good shape, I ventured off the sides of the trails, and eventually began to hunt for snow in the trees as well. On either side of the ridge, there are ample fields of powder with your choice of foliage, moguls, steepness and snow depth. I tended toward the deeper snow and along the fringes of the foliage myself. Although I would have liked some fresh powder during the day, the conditions were very good until the afternoon, when high winds began to cause stoppages of the sole chair lift.

Overall, I can highly recommend Anthony Lakes for the lack of lift lines, quality of snow, and variety of terrain. I would say this hill has something for just about everybody.

No comments: