Sunday, January 15, 2006

Mt. Hood Meadows

Meadows is an amazing resort. I had never seen so many skiers and snowboarders in one place - or so many lifts. I started this sunny day at Hood River Meadows, and decided that the fantastic conditions warranted the open to close lift ticket. After a couple of runs in the sun, I stopped at the Renaissance Cafe mid mountain to grab a mocha and rest my legs. Espresso on the hill is one of the great features of Meadows - aside from absolutely fantastic runs. It took me a while to become familiar with the massive area, but after a few runs I was able to see why so many people enjoy skiing and boarding here. There is terrain enough for all, with great stops along the way, and enough lifts to keep things moving even on the busiest of days. I think I finally hit my stride on the wide open runs at Meadows - I began to carve with confidence, and even took a run through the terrain park (just to take a look). Later in the day, I stopped for another mocha above the terrain park at the Mazot eatery, a cute little bar built on the footing of a former ski lift. This was my first evening of night boarding, and I must admit, I am now hooked: the snow is even more beautiful under the lights.

No comments: